My thoughts on Life, Work, and the World I live in...

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Chesterton's Orthodox Paradox

While reading on the bus this morning I came to the section in G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy where he presents cases against Christianity and then explains to the reader how he finds them. He gives what he sees as the reason behind each argument and then exposes what he sees as the holes in each.

Of particular interest to me were his comments on the moral brotherhood of all mankind. As an example he states that under this philosophy one might expect to travel to the orient and find it transcribed under a tree Thou salt not steal. Likewise he would fully to expect to her a remote island tribe tell their sons, Little ought to always tell the truth. This fiber of morality that seems to be innate, surely attests to the fact that the Christian God, an exclusive God, an absolute God, cannot be indeed the true God. If the critic could stop his argument there it would be a much more difficult article to defend.

But the vast majority does not stop there. They also hold in a bizarre dualism, the belief that what is right for one person or generation is not necessarily right for the next. So, to paraphrase Chesterton morality is more valid across 2000 years than it is across 200 and I would add even less so across 20. So dear reader, if you hold some version of this dualist morality and have found a way to keep a sound mind I would love to hear your thoughts. I see these arguments against the existence or effectiveness of God as confused at best and schizophrenic at worst.

This is an over simplified gloss, I will most certainly come back to this topic.

No comments:

About Me

I'm in love with my wife, enchanted by my children, and amazed by the world around me.