My thoughts on Life, Work, and the World I live in...

Monday, March 20, 2006

On Tordoes and Vaction - a poem

I shall never forget that fateful day
When in my parents green Oldmobile I mispelled the word tornado.
I wanted to appear calm so I spelled it and did not say
it, because it seemed like what a grown up would do.

I didn't want to alarm my little brother in the seat by me
Well, kind of by me because those were the days when seatbelts
were a nuisance, and we would roam the car free.
You see the clouds were dark and winds were fierce as well climbed the hill in front of the
Stoy road stop sign.

In a sort of whispery wimper I eeked it out letter by letter.
I really didn't understand why my parents had such a long goofy pause.
Why my mom hid her mouth under her sweater,
and laughed because
I had spelled it wrong - ( you know the nose covered laugh, kind of like when someone farted in
6th grade study hall)

I would have turned more red right then
and been really embarassed had she not ran right into the back of the car in front
of us. I"m sure when
she reads this she won't recall the wreck, in fact I'm not entirely sure it ever happened...

It's one of those foggy memories of youth.

Later after I got married, I found out my wife had a similar story about mispelling the word vacation in a note to her parents. I'm sure that there was some kind of insurance conjuring event that happened after it too, there always is...

- end

P.S. Dear Cap, you asked for it.

3 comments:

byronfrombyron said...

'bout time you posted something new. pretty good stuff

caparoon said...

I did ask for it, and I like it!

Gimme more. Especially since i haven't blogged for about a week. Somebody's got to keep up the chatter.

Josh said...

Ah.. It is good to know that it really happened. Thanks for setting it straight on how.

I can't believe it really happened. wow!

About Me

I'm in love with my wife, enchanted by my children, and amazed by the world around me.