My thoughts on Life, Work, and the World I live in...

Monday, May 02, 2005

American Tolerance & Divorce Statistics

Something Baffles me, how can a nation that preaches tolerance as the highest of all virtures have such an alarming divorce rate? I will be researching this and posting a little piece of investigative journalism here in the future weeks. If any readers want to chime in their views, that would be great, in that I will consider them when looking for sources to answer the following questions:

1.) What is the divorce rate in the US
a. collect data
b. find out what people think about divorce, public opinion.
2.) What is tolerance in the US
a. collected definitions
b. my analytical definition
3.) The reason that these two things bother me, or why I see a logical / ethical fallacy here
4.) What tolerance should be in my humble opinion
5.) What I believe marriage to be
6.) What do the major religions of the world teach about marriage?

6 comments:

Steph H. said...

I juat had one statistic to share with you on the subject of marriage . . . 1 me + 1 you = 4 ever! Hee hee. I'm so darned clever, eh? Luv you.

Su said...

I don't think that one can build a solid, lasting relationship on "tolerance." Though it is a necessity, I'm sure.

My personal suspicion about high divorce rates in America: people don't have common goals or core values... or they just don't have goals or core values period. They get married without hashing all that stuff out, finding out what the other person thinks.

As far as religious teachings about marriage, Christianity talks about mutual respect and trust. Being willing to serve each other, sacrifice for each other, etc. Check the book of Ephesians.

Josh said...

I heard a statistic yesterday that was amazing. Out of 1050 couples who read the Bible together and prayed together daily the divorce rate was 1/1050. That's right 1 in 1050. That's practically bullet proof.

shawanda said...

When I think of this entire issue, I think that the key to your answers fall within what society deems as tolerance. You can talk about religion's role or morals and values. And that's definitely apart of why things are the way they are. But honestly, when people throw around the word tolerance, they don't mean excepting the views and lifestyle of others. I think that what they are really saying is, "You have to tolerate my crap. Except what I feel and how I want to live my life." We as Americans seem to be way too selfish within the marriage relationship.

I look forward to what your research finds.

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Josh said...

Oxford English Dictionary - tolerance n

3. The action or practice of tolerating; toleration; the disposition to be patient with or indulgent to the opinions or practices of others; freedom from bigotry or undue severity in judging the conduct of others; forbearance; catholicity of spirit.

Oxford English Dictionary - forbearance n

1. The action or habit of forbearing, dispensing with, refraining or abstaining from (some action or thing). Const. of, from, to with inf.

2. Forbearing conduct or spirit; patient endurance under provocation; indulgence, lenity.

3. Abstinence from enforcing what is due, esp. the payment of a debt.

About Me

I'm in love with my wife, enchanted by my children, and amazed by the world around me.